8.01.2006

Self-fulfilling prophecy?

Last week I decided to join the AARP Auto Club. (That's like AAA for us old fogies.) Never belonged to AAA or anything like it before, but I'm planning a vacation trip with a lot of driving, and so I thought it might be a good idea. Signed up online, noting along the way that I would be covered immediately, even before my membership card shows up in the mail. Well, not likely to be an issue, I thought, because the membership kit should be here before I leave on my trip.

So, this morning I head in to work as usual. Halfway there, I'm stopped at a light, and I realize the guy in the pickup truck on my left is trying to get my attention. I roll down the window, and he says, "You've got a flat tire!" just as the light changes. I hastily thank him and pull into the first parking lot I come to. Sure enough, my left rear tire is quietly deflating.

Fortunately, I had (1) stuck the AARP Auto Club phone number in my wallet, (2) charged my cell phone last night, and (3) remembered to put the cell phone in my bag this morning. To make a long story short, they sent someone out to change the tire, and I have already recouped the cost of my membership.

Now, here's the thing: I've never had a flat tire before. What are the chances that I'd get my first flat within a week of signing up for the auto club? Is there some kind of obscure, sinister cause and effect here?

At this rate, I'd be afraid to, say, sign up for a security alarm service for my house -- I figure I'd just be asking for a burglary.

No comments: