1.18.2008

Deja vu all over again


So, it's 6 days till the 3rd anniversary of what some of you may think of as Black Monday -- the day the first batch of us got "transitioned out" of The Company. Just yesterday, in fact, I marked next Thursday on my whiteboard calendar at work as "Black Monday".

Had I known, I could also have marked today, January 18, as Black Friday. Instead, I packed the calendar up with everything else in my office and stuffed it in my car. Yes, today The New Company called nine of us local employees into the conference room and passed out termination letters, effective immediately. They had already notified about the same number of the "remotes" that their services were no longer required. We'll get paid through the end of the month plus our accumulated PTO.

I can't say I was totally blindsided this time around; there had been ominous signs recently, and I'm no longer blithely oblivious to such warning signals. Not that that helps a whole lot. About the best I can say for it is that at least the CEO had the guts to wield the axe himself instead of delegating it off to the managers.

I'm really starting to hate the last half of January.

2 comments:

Shocho said...

Holy crap! It's true that for some reason, employers like to do this awful thing in late January.

Best wishes to you! I hope something else shows up soon.

DrHeimlich said...

That is simply awful. I feel sorry for you. Not too sorry for long, though, because I have every confidence you're going to recover from this setback just as you did from the last one. I'll be thinking of you.