5.16.2011

Salt of the Earth... and Pepper of the Vulcan?

StarTrek.com occasionally sends me an email "newsletter", actually a pitch for assorted Trekkie merchandise from the online store. No doubt this is a remnant of the days of yore, when said online store was operated by my erstwhile employer, aka The Company. Lord knows I haven't knowingly given StarTrek.com any reason to think I might order from them, at least not in the past 10 years or so.

Be that as it may, the proffered merchandise seems to get a bit more bizarre with each edition of the "newsletter". I mean, sure, T-shirts are ever-popular (but you'll note that, while Klingons and Starfleet are always in evidence, they never have a Romulan theme), and certainly you expect things like tricorders and phasers to turn up with regularity.

But I have to confess that it had not hitherto occurred to me that I might season my dinner from porcelain Spock and Captain Kirk Salt and Pepper Shakers, which, according to the newsletter, will "complete any table". I don't know about that, but they sure would be a pair of conversation pieces. Though I'm not sure the topics of conversation they might provoke would be appropriate for the dinner table. I keep wanting to apply captions:

Kirk: "Scotty, I asked you to beam us down next to those strange white rock formations, not on them!"

Spock: "Fascinating."


Perhaps, all in all, the Spock Cookie Jar would be a safer choice. Of course, removing Spock's head to grab a couple of chocolate chip cookies does seem a tad callous, especially when he appears to be stuck in quickstand up to his armpits. But I suppose that's preferable to having a large white cone in such a, well, uncomfortable location as evidenced in those salt & pepper shakers.

Never mind. I think I'll just keep storing my cookies (and my salt and pepper) in Tupperware.

No comments: