3.31.2011

Third time's the charm?

Well, here we are again. Today, for the third time in just over six years, I joined the ranks of the unemployed. This time, however, it came as no surprise; the government contract I've been working on for the last two and a half years has finally come to an end. Actually, the original contract came to an end last September 30, but it got extended twice, for three months each time. We've known for the last three months that there would be no reprieve this time, and I was notified a couple of weeks ago that my employer did not have another position to move me into, at least not now.

So, I've been slowly toting my personal stuff home since January, and believe it or not (those of you who were familiar with the state of my office at The Company will readily believe it), still had three Target bags full of the remainders to fetch out to the car today when I said a final goodbye to my colleagues and my cubicle.

And yet... my mood is much different from that surrounding my layoffs of six years ago or even three years ago. It's not just because I had plenty of warning this time; it's because I've been contemplating early retirement more seriously with each passing month. Unlike the last two layoffs, I now finally believe I can swing retirement financially. The main unknown is what I'll be able to do for health insurance once my COBRA runs out in 18 months... but I've decided to cross that bridge when I come to it.

Some may question what I'm going to do with all my free time. That would only be those of you have not seen the state of my house or my yard recently, i.e., all of you. I've got a list of projects so long that I couldn't possibly complete them all if I lived to be 110. Hell, I've got a pile of family photos that I promised my younger brother copies of 18 years ago – as he not-so-graciously reminded me recently – that could conceivably take me the next month to scan and burn to CDs. And then there's the kitchen cabinets to replace, and the gravel path I want to build from the driveway out to the back yard gate, and the planting bed for which the edging stones have been sitting on the driveway for two years, and the deck and siding to pressure-wash, and... well you get the picture.

For that matter, I can't begin to count the number of unread books on my shelves that are crying out "Read me! Read me!" Not to mention this sadly neglected blog you're now reading, assuming that anyone is actually reading it. Oh, yes, I have more than enough to keep me busy.

Now, I'm not going to declare that my retirement is permanent just yet, though it may well be. My company has actually placed me, technically, on furlough status rather than layoff, because they are hopeful that they may acquire an additional contract or two in the relatively near future which will need a technical writer. Mind you, I told them I'm in no rush to go back to work, and even if they do come up with something for me, there's no guarantee I'll take it. I'll be filing for unemployment tomorrow (tried to do it tonight, but since today was my last day of employment, the brain-dead online application process thinks I'm still at work though it was 9 PM, and said I have to wait till tomorrow) and will dutifully apply for anything reasonably suitable, but if the trends noted in my last bout with job-hunting are any indication, I would be well-advised not to hold my breath waiting for an interview, let alone an actual job offer.

If anything does turn up, well, I'll have to make a decision about going back to work for a while (which would have the advantage of "resetting" my COBRA eligibility). Another bridge to be crossed if, and when, I come to it. For now, count me as retired and ready to enjoy it.

No comments: